Games, Animation and VFX Skills
The Level 3 diploma and extended diploma qualifications in Games, Animation and VFX Skills are aimed at students aged 16+. The extended diploma is comparable with three A Levels and comes with UCAS points so can be used to progress to University or a Higher Apprenticeship.
The course is written by industry to meet their skills needs and is the only industry backed course of its kind.
The qualification is suitable for anyone interested in a career in a wide range of jobs in creative and digital media roles or to move into an apprenticeship or higher education.
The course contains the following components:
- Art Fundamentals for the Games, Animation and VFX Industries
- Core Principles of Game Design
- Fundamental Animation Skills for the Games, Animation and VFX Industries
- Fundamental Product Programming Skills
- Maths and Logic Fundamentals for the Games, Animation and VFX Industries
- VFX Fundamentals for the Games, Animation and VFX Industries
- 3D Tools: Creative and Technical 3D Modelling
- Production Management for the Games, Animation and VFX Industries
- Emerging Technologies/Trends in the Games, Animation and VFX Industries
- Images and Sounds for Imagined Worlds
- Working in the Games, Animation and VFX Industries
Delivered through NextGen
Training providers/colleges have the choice to join the NextGen family and benefit from experiential learning and expert input for their learners.
The NextGen Skills Academy brings industry and education together. They work closely with specialist
employers across games, animation and VFX including: Blue Zoo, Double Negative, Framestore, MPC, Sony Interactive Entertainment Europe, Ubisoft and Centroid 3D.
Working in this way adds a third dimension to this unique qualification.
Benefits to colleges
By joining the NextGen community, college tutors and are offered continuing professional development opportunities via their network of employers.
Previous tutor CPD sessions have included:
- 2-day placement at Framestore and DNEG
- 1-day bespoke Unity training workshops
- 3-day VFX fundamentals bootcamp
- 3-day motion capture and data manipulation bootcamp with Centroid 3D
Benefits to learners
NextGen learners leave with the essential skills and a strong portfolio to demonstrate their skills and potential.
- develop technical skills in animation, 3D modelling and the creation of visual effects
- learn about production pipelines, process management and the importance of commercial feasibility
- gain practical experience using Agile and Scrum as project management techniques
- work to real industry briefs and receive industry feedback
- develop technical, artistic, maths and programming skills that are vital to the successful creation of any game, animation, or visual effects sequence
- attend masterclasses from industry experts
- the annual NextGen graduate show
- the annual NextGen Jam; sees students working together to complete a game, animation, or other creative piece in just seven days
- top industry shows such as EGX and Insomnia Gaming Festival
- industry visits to professional studios
- NextGen’s industry challenges responding to briefs and receive feedback from industry practitioners
NextGen students are well placed to go on to university as the extended diploma carries UCAS tariff points. Many students also progress onto higher level apprenticeships for example:
- Junior 2D Artists
- Digital Community Manager
- Assistant Technical Directors
- Digital Community Managers
- Junior VFX Artists
Please use our Search Tool to see the full list of AIM Qualifications