Skip to main content
Keith Fletcher Awards 2022-23

Judging and Rules

Each participating AVA is asked to provide a judge preferably drawn from one of their committees (such as an Access or Quality Committee, or Board of Trustees). Alternatively, an AVA can nominate another judge at their discretion who meets the criteria as detailed below.

Please send the contact details by Tuesday 31 October 2023, including an email address, name, role in AVA, organisation employed by and job title (if applicable), to Please ensure that the email clearly indicates that it is related to the Keith Fletcher Access Prize in the title.

Criteria for judges

Judges should:

  • have relevant and appropriate experience and understanding of the aims and objectives of the Access to HE Diploma
  • have no direct  interest in the nominations made from their region
  • have access to the internet and be able to open the relevant files and participate in the online scoring
  • be available to participate in the judging online between 4 December 2023 and 12 January 2024

An online scoring system and guidance will be circulated to judges.

Publicity and award of prizes

The Awards Presentation will be held at the Houses of Parliament on Wednesday 6 March 2024.

Each participating AVA can use the winning nominee details as the basis for regional press releases and publicity, subject to consent from winners.

General Rules and Conditions

  • Only one student should be nominated for each category per AVA.
  • Nominations must be received on the nomination forms to ensure consistency for judging.
  • An individual student can only be nominated for one category.
  • The decisions of the panel of judges will be final.
  • Each AVA should have obtained prior permission of the nominee for using his/her details in any subsequent publicity relating to the prizes.
  • In each category there will be a winner and a runner up.
  • The prize funds will be determined by dividing the contributions from each AVA (£200 per AVA) between the prize winners and runners up. The prize money will be spilt into two sections. The winners prize fund will consist of approximately 60% of the overall prize fund and the runners up prize fund will consist of the remaining 40%. The winners will then each receive half of the winning funds and the runners up will receive half of the runners up funds each. The prizes will be paid as cash or cheques.
  • The nominated learner should not be related to a nominee or be employed at an institution at which any of the nominees were taught.
  • GDPR: AIM regards the lawful and correct treatment of personal information as very important to its successful operations, and to maintaining confidence between AIM and those with whom it carries out business. AIM will ensure it treats personal information lawfully and correctly. To this end AIM fully endorses and adheres to the Principles of the General Data Protection Regulation (GDPR). Personal details of nominees will not be shared with third parties, all nominations are anonymised prior to judging and winners will be contacted prior to any publicity announcements. A copy of AIM’s Privacy Notice can be found here.


 Event  Date

   1. Details of regional judges to AIM 

   Tuesday 31 October 2023

   2. Closing date for nominations with supporting statements and evidence 

   Thursday 30 November 2023

   3. Judging takes place 

   Mon 4 December 2023 - Fri 12 January 2024

   4. Winners announced

   Week commencing 22 January 2024

   5. Awards' presentation, Houses of Parliament

   Wednesday 6 March 2024


View the category criteria and application forms for each category on the pages below.